I was going to share a quick fun Christmas card today, but my obsessive side could not leave the card alone. If you can keep yourself under control, this can be a quick, fun holiday card.
I stamped the cute penguin image from the Under the Mistletoe stamp set on a white rectangle and colored it with copic markers. I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment on the right side of a second white rectangle, using Ebony Spark embossing powder. After sponging the edges with ink, both of these were layered on red die cut scalloped rectangles, overlapped, and added to a blue card front on a white card base. Simple, right?
OK, this was cute but my obsessive side said “this really needs something”. I used a Versamarker to add Super Thick Clear embossing powder to the ice cube and water and heat set. Then I used a glue pen to add a touch of Cloud Nine Velvet glitter. (By the way, I have no idea why the ice cube looks slightly pink in the pics – it isn’t pink). Next I stamped the image again on a scrap, colored the hat and feet and cut them out. I used dimensional glue to add Twinkling Clouds Sparkle N Soft to the hat, and also to the beard and cuffs on the original image. When this was dry, I used more dimensional glue to adhere the hat and feet on top of the original image to give it dimension.
To be honest, I had stamped the “Meet me under the” just above the penguin, but I messed up (I know this never happens to you). I just decided to cover it up with a snowflake, die cut from cardstock covered with 2 ½” “Tear-ific Tape” and Cloud Nine Velvet glitter. I stamped the sentiment in the middle and popped this up over my mistake.
I couldn’t stop there. I wanted to do something subtle to the blue background so I stamped various snowflakes from the Winter Swirl set with Versamark ink around the outer edges. Needless to say, this would have been easier before adding the two rectangles, but using a scrap of paper to mask, I made it work. It isn’t real obvious in the pictures, but this left a nice watermark look.
I really needed some more bling, so I ran dimensional glue around the edges of the white rectangles and covered it with Diamond Dust glitter and then with some Cloud Nine Velvet glitter. Then I added some red jewel swirls to two corners. I had some left over jewels from parts of the swirls that I didn’t use so I added these to the snowflake die cut and the berries on the mistletoe.
I like the additions and they really didn’t make that much more work. Sometimes just a few simple extra steps can really make a card pop.
I hope this gave you a few ideas for your cards. Have a fantastic week.